Requesting a letter from your provider

Some patients may request that their provider—therapist or psychiatric practitioner—write a letter on their behalf, often to obtain an emotional support animal (ESA), academic/work accommodations, or proof of engagement in treatment. The decision to write a letter is completely at the discretion of each individual provider.

Note: Rula is unable to handle letter requests on behalf of the provider, as only the treating provider can do so at their individual clinical discretion.

Why might a provider be unable to write a letter?

Your provider may determine that writing the requested letter is outside their “scope of practice,” which outlines the specific areas they're qualified to address. Some specialized scope of practice situations in which your provider may not be qualified can include letters related to FMLA/disability, emotional support animals, and gender-affirming medical care.

Other reasons a provider may be unable to write a letter include unique ethical, legal, and liability considerations, as well as professional boundaries.

What can I do if my provider is unable to write a letter?

If your provider communicates that they are unable to write a letter, here are a few options you can take: 

  1. You can request your medical records from Rula, which indicate your diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment history. You can then do as you please with your medical records, including giving them to third parties.
  2. You can request a letter from another health professional. Many letters are more appropriately handled by a primary care physician or a psychiatrist. 

If obtaining the letter is a critical element of your care, you can consider finding a new therapist in the Rula Patient Portal.

Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 found this helpful